Apply to Vol State

Vol State Community College

Applicants seeking admission to a degree program at Volunteer State Community College must meet the following requirements:


Checklist for Attending Vol State



1 Application

A completed application for admission to Volunteer State Community College is required.     

2 Citizenship

Applicants who would like to be eligible for a state public benefit (in-state tuition) are required to verify their US citizenship or lawful presence with the college. To learn more, please visit our citizenship page.


High School Credentials


All students seeking a degree or certificate from Volunteer State Community College should request an official transcript be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions from each high school attended. To be acceptable for admission to a degree or certificate program, official transcripts must include credits earned and a date of graduation. Faxed or student issued copies of transcripts are not considered official.

To be admitted to a degree or certificate program, students must graduate high school with a regular diploma or higher. High school certificates of attendance, special diplomas or the like are not sufficient for admission to a degree or certificate program. Students falling into this category may substitute acceptable scores on the HSE examination or apply as a non-degree student. See the Admission of Non-Degree Students section for admission requirements for students not seeking a degree.

Public Tennessee High Schools: In addition to the above requirements, the transcript of graduates of Tennessee public high schools must include a notation indicating that the student passed the required proficiency exam beginning with the 1983 graduating class.

Non-Public Schools: Applicants who graduated from non-public high schools (including private schools, home schools, and church-related schools) must submit an official transcript showing credits earned and date of graduation. The transcript of a home school applicant must be an official copy from an affiliated organization as defined by state law (T. C. A. 49- 50-801) or be accompanied by a certification of registration with the superintendent of the local education agency which the student would otherwise attend. Applicants who cannot provide a satisfactory secondary school credential may substitute acceptable scores on the HSE examination.

High School Equivalency Diploma: Applicants 18 years of age or over may be admitted with an average score of 45 or more on the High School Equivalency (HSE) Test. Official scores on the HSE should be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions from the testing agency.

ACE Diploma: The American Council on Education External Diploma may be accepted in lieu of a high school transcript for students who completed high school requirements and received the ACE Diploma.


Transfer Credentials


Applicants for admission seeking a degree from Volunteer State Community College who have enrolled for any credit classes in another institution of higher education, regardless of whether they wish to receive credit for it, must submit a complete official transcript to the Office of Admissions from each institution attended. Faxed or student issued copies of transcripts are not considered official. In every case, credentials must include a complete record of credits earned in all previous secondary schools attended and a complete record of grades from all collegiate institutions attended. Failure to indicate previous college attendance on the application for admission may subject the student to dismissal from the College.

Transfer students should refer to the Granting Transfer Credit section for information on course evaluation and credit transferability.


Entrance Examination


All degree-seeking students, who are 20 years of age or younger as of the first day of class for their term of initial enrollment, must submit scores from the American College Testing program (ACT). Information about this examination may be obtained from high school counselors or from the Testing Office at Volunteer State Community College. An ACT code number of 4037 has been assigned to Volunteer State Community College. Official scores on the ACT should be sent to the Office of Admissions directly from ACT. ACT scores included on an official high school transcript are sufficient to meet this requirement. A transfer student need not retake the ACT, but should have his or her ACT scores on file with the College. The scores are used for placement and counseling purposes only. SAT scores may be submitted in lieu of ACT scores.


Placement Testing


Unless otherwise exempt by ACT scores, transfer credit, etc., all degree-seeking students are required to take a placement test. The placement test is designed to measure skills in reading, writing, and math. Applicants whose native language is not English may be required to complete a specialized placement test.

Transfer applicants, who have not been assessed at a TBR institution or completed any college-level courses in English composition and/or college-level math with a grade of "C" or better, will be assessed according to the College's assessment and placement procedures. Transfer applicants with valid (less than three years old) ACT scores may be placed using those scores.


Applicant Age


Applicants must be 16 years of age or older.


Draft Registration


All male applicants, born in 1960 or later, who have attained the age of 18, must have proof of draft registration before registering for classes at Volunteer State Community College. If a male applicant is under the age of 18 at the time of admission, the applicant must provide proof of registration with Selective Service upon turning 18 years of age if still enrolled at Volunteer State Community College.




Please visit our immunization page for detailed information about the types of vaccinations required.